Ellen von unwerth is the queen. Fact. I have always had a soft spot for glamour. There’s something alluring about the tease and the enticement of femininity. And Ellen’s photos ooze all that and more.
The first time I saw ellen Von Unwerths work was in a Milan airport advertising a lingerie shop . Indeed the advertisement oozed so much popping beauty I instantly went in to the store determined to acquire some of this lingerie. To my dismay the garments were a little on the polyester paradise side but I was instantly sold on Ellen and her work.
So imagine my delight and surprise when I heard of the launch of her new book and exhibiton at Taschen. I immediately whipped down in an Uber and was in instant heaven.
Here are my top 5 reasons to see this iconic photographers work now.
1. Sauce. No I’m not talking about sludges of toffee fudge or extra strawberry. I’m talking about the pure beauty of the naked form. She brings out the exquisitely feminine and even though there is nakedness on display it is tasteful, and done with a storyline in mind. Which brings me to my next one.
2. Narrative. Whether is a maid with a red glossy pout or girls in lederhosen having fun, her work always has an amazing storyline, with many threads running throughout the series.
3. Innuendos. Who doesn’t love a suggestive sausage or a peek of naughty stockings?
Her images are always sleek and chic whilst being totally playful and fun at the same time.
4. She was a model and knows how to make her girls look good! She always captures her subjects in their best light, highlighting their best features and
5. Her exhibition is also an accumulation of a book. Ellen’s exhibiton takes a long time to curate, hence the beauty, playful diversity, feminine narrative that makes all of the images in the exhibiton acutely definitive of her work. But if you can’t make the exhibition you can also purchase her new book